Monday, August 2, 2010

RUN 188 - Man-power 1 : Pedal-power 0

Monday is usually a cross train day for me, cycled the 10 miles across London to work this morning, feeling energized and ready to start a busy week. Began the ride home; a little later than I’d hoped… made it about 1.5miles and blew a tire, no pump, no tools, no chance to fix it. I’m sure you can’t take a bike on the bus, and I couldn’t see myself dragging the bike underground into the sweaty tube, so I ran. That’s what I love most about running, and why I’m not interested in cycling; cycling needs too much stuff, there’s too much between my body and the endeavor. Except for social conventions, I could run home naked if I wanted to, it’s the most honest and natural expression of fitness and endurance (swimming’s a close second!) Its true, I wasn’t prepared; I had no pump, no tools etc and a more experienced cyclist would have been back on the saddle in 20 minutes I’m sure. But you know what, running that bike the final 8 miles home, I would estimate I was passed by 50-100 such people, who must wonder why I’m running 07:30/m miles pushing a bike along the pavement; not one offered any assistance. In my experience, runners have a greater sense of camaraderie which today only went to prove. So if you’re a cyclist too, and encounter someone in need, lend a hand, you might need one too one day.  [8.5m - 01:05:10 - 07:38/m]



[The offending bicycle tire, not looking as flat as it is]

No comments:

Post a Comment