Sunday, June 27, 2010

RUN 178 - Thank Clif for shot bloks!

Summer arrived with a vengeance this weekend, and as a runner, the heat is no friend of mine, and lately so are early mornings.  So today i find myself running through the building heat of the mid morning.  I was eager to get out the door too and didn't take enough water, probably didn't adjust my pace for the conditions either.  Basic mistakes which i've made before, told myself i'd not make again and then forgot all about my promise to myself.  Fortunately i had some Clif Shot Bloks in my belt which really help replace all the electrolytes i'd been profusely sweating out and really helped me home, this is why i don't race in the summer, since my first marathon in Chicago 2007; heat acclimatisation is perhaps the key, whether the issue is 'heat stroke' or the heat affect on blood pressure is interesting discussed here using the 2007 Chicago Marathon as a case study.  The definition of 'extreme' temperatures therefore depends on what you're accustomed to and your training.  Todays conditions were certainly 'extreme' compared to the previous months, and i was reminded of the need to prepare and consider those conditions before heading out the door.  Runtheplanet.com have some great dvise here. You, and I, would do well to take note. [7.36m - 01:02:33 - 08:30/m]


[cooling off in the shade before heading home]

No comments:

Post a Comment