Saturday, October 31, 2009

RUN 94 - English Countryside

I set off today with map in hand to navigate through the South Gloucester countryside on an 11/12m run which i planned out on mapmyrun.com and checked out on Google Earth. A mix of pavements, roads, grassy verges, fields and muddy lanes... i decided on wearing the road shoes; should have gone with the trail shoes, but it was a pretty even split. I'm finding it very important to constantly check my footing when off road, something i haven't had to think about in my training and racing before. One wrong placement could easily twist an ankle and that would be it. It isn't affecting my pace though which I'm pleased with, although i can feel a greater level of effort required for the same distance. Today's run was beautiful, weather was perfect, the roads were a little busy, but i was amazed how polite and courteous driver were, I'd forgotten that. The rhythm is different too, heavier shoes, carrying a camelbak or more water than I'm used to, and a greater degree of elevation change, i can feel more muscle groups being worked and i feel like I'm working harder, but I'm enjoying the effort, and feel capable and confident. I need more off road experience ideally so i need to work on planning running routes more carefully than I'm used to. [10.79m - 1:28:29 - 08:36/m]

[Wales & old Severn Bridge]

No comments:

Post a Comment