Saturday, December 5, 2009

RUN 108 - The Gower, CTS Stage 2

Today is the proudest and most painful day of my running endeavours since it all began 3 years ago. I completed the Endurancelife Coastal Trail Series Stage 2 in The Gower, a designated area of "Outstanding Natural Beauty" I don't care about the time, I wasn't last and I finished without injury which is brilliant! I've never run in such constantly demanding challenging conditions or terrain, but being able to rely on the never ending support of my wife family, and fellow runners is a constant to running events worldwide. Whether it's telling me at mile 17 that I look great and that they believe in me (even if I've just run 2 miles across sand into a biting cold headwind and feel like death, and probably look awful) or a kind runner giving me a pain killer for the agonizing inner quad pain that's been crippling me from miles 18 to 22. Runners are awesome people! And so is my wife and family! Pushing through stomach cramps from miles 23 to 26 I started to get my legs back and feel some energy, which I needed to ascend, traverse and descend the annoyingly located 800ft high Rossilli hill right at the 27 mile mark through to the finish. The resent and sprint for the line were exhilarating, conditions underfoot worse than ever, surface water, mud to my shins, 5 kinds of animal poo not to mention more rocks! Sprinting to the finish to my ever patient wife and parents, I'd made it across beaches, rivers, pebbles, rocks, thick mud, forests, sand dunes, constant undulation and brutal hills. The event was perfectly organised and flawless! and I met a bunch of brilliant people crazier than me! Can't wait for the next one at the end if January! [28m - 06:01:46 - 12:55.2/m]




No comments:

Post a Comment