Thursday, July 30, 2009

RUN 42

I've always thought that running is 50% physical strength and 50% mental strength, at least in my experience. I've proved this to myself on many runs; training, for fun, and when racing. My first race of 2009 is a perfect example, a snow and ice storm came through Chicago the morning of the race turning the road into slush and my feet into ice... i ran a personal best that morning. Mustering up the resolve to face the challenge is something that really appeals to me, and elevates a successful run to an even more satisfying level. Mental strength needs training just as much as form, cadence and muscle strength. Sometimes I'll let my mind wander when a run starts getting tough, I'll place a word like 'strength' or 'power' in my mind and let it conjure up images randomly that reflect those words... all kinds of images crop up; the hulk, the space shuttle, volcanoes, ... focusing on the imagery helps me more than talking myself up, which i know a lot of other runners do. Sometimes i run past this old mill, i noticed the wheel today as the water was faster flowing than Ive noticed before... the power of the water and the eternal rotating of the wheel seemed like a perfect image to hold in my mind. The water never stops flowing and the wheel keeps a steady pace as it turns and turns. Anything is possible i think if you really put your body and mind to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment