Wednesday, June 3, 2009

RUN 1





I turned 30 in 2006, i wasn't OUT of shape, but i wasn't IN shape either... i was teetering on the precipice of gluttony and personal physical abuse, chocolate, bacon and beer were my weapons of choice and i was about to do battle with my body... i had an Epiphany, i think it was an epiphany... anyway i knew i had to do something fast before i was bedridden and being carted around on the back of a flatbed lorry like that bloke in Mexico. so i started running (again) i say again, but id only ever run a little track in school, 1500m and all that... i did compete in a cross country race when i was in the cubs, my recollection is that i came in 8Th place out of oh about 300, maybe 3000... but i might have got that wrong. anyway i have a tendency to over exert myself beyond my physical ability, so i started on the treadmill until i was up to 10miles, waiting for the Chicago winter to subside... once the actual ground was no longer covered by snow and ice i began running for real, and signed up for the Chicago marathon... see over exerting myself again. well i trained hard, reached most of my training goals and made it to the finish on race day, even tho the race was stopped when i was at mile 22 and forced to walk the rest.

I wasn't happy, so I ran another in St Louis, and reached my goal, 4hrs. a handful of 'half's and a bunch of 5k and 8ks later here i am, I'm a runner. i don't exactly know why, that's the point of this i suppose, but i know i like it. Just like i don't eat cheese, i just don't like it.

I thought today, "i should start a blog",.....i should have have started a couple of years ago, Ive run some fun places, along coasts, old rail paths, different countries, up the "Rocky Steps" on an island in the Indian ocean (ill probably make a map or something) oh well... better late than never

R

No comments:

Post a Comment